Tuesday 17 August 2010

Mr. Blair's Generosity

I can't resist the temptation to contribute to the speculation about Mr. Blair's donation of his royalties to The British Legion.

Most commentators seem to have overlooked the possibility that he cares about the plight of disabled ex-servicemen, but there might still be other thoughts at the back of his mind.

If I were in his position I should expect my donation to set a precedent which might make it hard for other writers of memoirs to keep their royalties, and I gather that Mr. G. Brown's memoirs are on the way. How amusing if Brown wanted to keep his royalties but felt constrained to give them away.

1 comment :

Ged said...

I imagine that in Mr Brown's case it might be more useful if his contract with the publisher specifies that the rag resulting from pulping the remainders should go to the people who make the poppies, as a free raw material.