Friday 2 December 2016

Invisible Button

I recently bought a new tower PC. In the old days the first thing one taught computer novices was how to switch the computer on. The switch was usually at the back of the computer. Wise, as I thought, to the ways of computer manufacturers, I switched on while plugging this and that into the back of the machine, but it still didn't some on.

Usually there's some sort of on/off button on the front of the case too, but however carefully I searched I couldn't find one. The only button I could find on the front was the one for the DVD bay.

I was on the point of taking the tower back to the shop where I'd bought it, when a kind friend offered to have a look. He eventually found a button. The button was black, matching the black case of the tower, and was flush with the case. Even though I now know where it is, I still can't see it, though I can detect it by touch.

I wonder who designed the case, and what, if anything, went through their minds when they made it like that.



2 comments :

Sasha said...

My moribund computer suffers from the same stupid design. I have applied a blob of Tippex to the button to make it visible.

Gerard Mason said...

I'm sure *something* went through their mind -- how bored they were with their job, how much they wanted to get home, how much they hated people who bought computers, how evil old white males are responsible for everything bad and nothing good. Just not anything to do with designing usable computers.

On the other hand, if you don't know where your PC's on button is *in the dark and by haptic memory alone* then you aren't really trying. Tsk!