Tuesday 16 February 2016

An Image of Cream Cheese

A poster about diet in the Cardiology Department of Kettering General Hospital urges us to avoid cheeses such as Cheddar and Stilton, and to eat cream cheese instead.

That reminds me of my childhood in the 1940's. Refrigerators were rare, so milk often went sour in warm weather, but people were reluctant to waste food in a time of scarcity.My father used to convert curdled milk into cream cheese. He separated the solid curds from the whey by pouring the milk into an old sock, which he left hanging from one of the taps over the kitchen sink.  After a while he'd squeeze the sock, extract the contents, and eat them while mother and I watched in horror.

If you are ever tempted to eat cream cheese, just visualise father's sock hanging from the kitchen tap !!





1 comment :

Gerard Mason said...

After converting to a kefir-head a little while back, and generally being in awe of that culture's remarkable ability to thrive in my definitely non-sterile kitchen, and to revive itself after I spent three weeks in hospital unable to feed it, I'd say your dad was probably eating pretty safely most of the time, and may well have found a good source of friendly -- and tasty! -- lactophile bacteria in his socks. The general fermentation rule seems to be, if it smells good, looks unremarkable and tastes ok then it is probably ok, but if any of those conditions are not met then avoid it. I look forward to your counterexamples!