Tuesday 18 September 2012

What has become of Blancmange

When Blancmange was served on its own as pudding for school dinners I detested it, but in recent years I've found it a useful component in a trifle.

Chocolate blancmange, poured over chocolate cake mixed with raisins, and soaked in coffee and rum, is the basis for an excellent chocolate trifle. I finish it with a layer of cream beaten with a coffee liqueur, and decorate with chocolate flakes.

Raspberry or strawberry blancmange works better than custard in a standard fruit trifle, where the base is sponge cakes mixed with stewed raspberries and covered with raspberry jelly.

Noting that my stock of blancmange powders was low, I tried to buy more, but failed in each of two supermarkets. I wonder if there has been a regulation about the sale of foods that wobble ?






1 comment :

Sasha said...

Blancmange has vanished. I'm quite sure that children today would have no idea what it was. Junket, too, has long gone. Personally, I miss neither of them, but it's all a matter of taste.

Don't despair, however; here's a recipe: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/blancmangewithraspbe_91130