Thursday 18 November 2010

Diminishing Bookshops

I used to enjoy browsing round bookshops, but find Leicester's are gradually fading away. Of two moderate sized second hand shops that I used to frequent in the 1990, one has closed completely, and the others has shrunk to a market stall open for just a few days each week.

Last time I entered the larger of our two branches of Waterstone's, I notices that a chunk of the ground floor is now devoted to cards, and the top floor is entirely given over to a café.

The University used to have two moderate sized bookshops, one for Maths and Science, and one for everything else. Both those have closed, to be replaced by one little cubby hole. When I looked around that to find what today's Maths Students are taught, I couldn't find a single text book on Analysis.

Alas!!!

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

It's very sad. The same thing is happening here in Bristol. Our longest-established bookshop has now shrunk by two-thirds, the bulk of the space currently being converted into yet another restaurant.

This city is absolutely bursting at the seams with eateries, but has a lamentably reduced supply of food for the mind.