Wednesday 13 January 2010

Make Your Jam with Brown Sugar

For many years I've used brown sugar in my marmalade, but only very recently did I think of using it for jam too.

I spotted apricots in the market at 2 pounds for 1 pound sterling. So I bought two pounds and made them into jam, using light moist brown sugar. The flavour is subtly richer than that of jam made with white sugar.

Incidentally, don't use dark brown sugar. I once used that for marmalade and found the flavour of treacle overpowering.

Many who write cookery books have not realised that when one makes jam with fruit with stones, there is no need to stone the fruit before cooking. Once the fruit is cooked and the sugar has been added the stones will float and can be removed while one removes the scum and waits for the jam to reach its setting point.

No comments :