Sunday 5 April 2009

More trouble with Virgin

I've found I can no longer modify the contents of my website. Attempts either to upload files, or to delete what is already there, are rejected on the ground that I don't have the necessary permission, though I can see everything on the site.

Peter of the Virgin help team couldn't put it right, even after having two consultations with his coleagues. He thinks it may be a server fault, so perhaps all will be well soon if they manage to put it right.

I did glean one piece of useful information - where to go to alter user settings. I'd several times searched the Virgin site in vain for that, but now I know where it is.

Readers who'd like to know should look at:

https://selfcare.virginmedia.com 

you can't do much there apart from change passwords and defined extra email addresses, but that little is better than nothing.

I've also discovered that I have 200 MB of web space.

If all who have Virgin broadband used all their web space, many new servers would be needed.

2 comments :

Ged said...

I'm not keen on this whole idea of using the web space that's given to you by your ISP. What happens if your bank makes a mistake with the payment and VM cut you off? Or what if you want to change ISPs, to take advantage of a better offer? The free web space is just a transparent ploy to lock you in to their service, I'm afraid.

You might want to have a look at Google Sites, http://sites.google.com/, which seems a sturdy alternative for more than just blogging.

Richard said...

Thanks for the hint; I'll look at the Google stuff.

I shouldn't lose any data if the Virgin web space disappeared, because I have copies. However it would be inconvenient to have to direct people to a new site.

I may set something up on Google and give that address to people, but still use the Virgin web space for some files.