Tuesday 24 March 2009

Nostalgia

I've penetrated the Windows like user interface of my net book and experimented with Linux in command line mode.

I found among my books a 25 year old guide to UNIX, which reminded me of the stuff I used to do on the college Xenix system in the mid 1980's.

Joy of joys, the ancient commands still worked !! 

I created a little file with ed, the line editor, and corrected my mistake.

I generated a calendar for this month and sent it to a file.

It was even more fun that getting a Sinclair Spectrum simulator to run on a PC - something I haven't done for a long time. It made me feel, if not exactly young, at least middle aged again.

Alas, there was a worm in the apple. I couldn't get either of the characters '\' or '|' As the latter is the pipeline symbol that is very serious. They are both shown on the Z key of the Asus, but I can't get them on the screen, though I've tried all the combinations of special keys, caps lock and num lock that I can think of. Readers are invited to post suggestions, preferably ones that do not involve smashing the net book in righteous fury.

Meanwhile I shall copy file containing the missing characters from my PC and try cutting and pasting on the Asus.

2 comments :

Ged said...

Have you got an Alt Graphics key? It might be labelled 'AltGr', and it might be on the right of the space bat somewhere.

Richard said...

Yes, there is an alt graphics key, but I can't make it do anything at all. If I hold it down and press another key, no character appears on the screen.

There is a key, next to the alt key, with 'Fn' on it, in the same colour as the \ and | on the Z key. Pressed at the same time as the z key that gives < or >, depending on whether or not the caps shift key is pressed at the same time.