Tuesday 6 August 2013

Praising LibreOffice

My purchase of a computer with Windows8 installed created a problem: what should I do about my large collection of files created in Microsoft Works?

An admirable piece of software, Works provided all the 'office' facilities any reasonable being might need, without the 'bloat' of the more expensive Microsoft Office. Microsoft has now withdrawn Works and the free reader it provides for access to Word files can't cope with Works.

I think MS wants to bully people into buying MS Office; it provides a utility that allows Office to read Works files, but nothing to help those who don't have Office.

Open Office, the free-ware alternative to MS Office can't cope with Works files either and I spent several hours searching the Internet for hints. Then I mentioned the problem in Cix Conferencing, and very soon had the answer.

LibreOffice, an offshoot of Open Office, can import files in a wide range of formats, including Works files and also files in that irritating docx format, which proud owners of the latest version of MS Office like to use to show off at the expense of those who don't have that particular piece of bloat-ware.



No comments :