Thursday 28 October 2010

"Mummy is in Heaven, Living with the Angels"

I noticed that headline on the front page of a newspaper someone was reading on the bus today.

I don't know anything else about the circumstances, but the headlined comment is the sort of thing some people might say in the hope of reassuring children whose mother has died.

How reassuring would it be ?

A thoughtful child might wonder why its mother should be living it up (or should I say 'dying it up') in a celestial holiday camp, instead of looking after her children. To accuse her of such negligence is close to libel.

1 comment :

Sasha said...

I suspect that children must be utterly bewildered by such an explanation. It can't help them at all.

To my mind, it would be better to tell them straight out that their Mummy has died. This, they would have some chance of understanding, particularly if they had already experienced the death of a household pet, and knew it meant and end.