Saturday 9 October 2010

Leicester Closed for a Riot

I had to forgo my usual city centre shopping today, because much of the City centre was closed so that an organisation called the 'EDL' could hold a so-called 'demonstration', and another group called 'The Anti-Fascist League' could have what they called a 'counter-demonstration.

I'm puzzled by the supposed right to 'demonstrate' in the street.

I consider the primary function of roads is to provide people with a way of getting around, and in the case of City centre roads, to get to shops.

People wishing to have a meeting could rent a hall, and do it there.

It is bad enough to allow one group of people to obstruct access to the shopping centre, but to allow another to hold a rival gathering nearby verges on lunacy. If there must be demonstration and counter demonstration in the street, let them be on different days.

In my teens I enjoyed History, and one of my heroes was Napoleon, because he got his troops to fire on the Paris mob. We may have something to learn from him.

No comments :