Sunday 24 May 2009

Web Dependence

A few days ago broadband was down for the best part of a day. I felt isolated, cut off both from friends and from information.

Luddites might say that is because I've become addicted to technology, but they are wrong.

Thinking back to the days before I had an Internet connection, I realise how isolated  I was then.

Information could be obtained only laboriously by plodding through reference books, all out of date.

To meet more than one person at a time required elaborate arrangements, and unless the people in question lived nearby one had to chose between the haphazard superficiality of a, usually expensive, phone call, and the time consuming chore of letter writing.

I am so glad we now have email and the Internet !!!



3 comments :

norfield@rogers.com said...

We have what I term "semi-Luddites" in Canada too, you know. They work on computers all week, but when you try to contact them at the weekend, the response (too late, of course) is "Oh I NEVER check my e-mail on the weekend". What's that about? Don't they know that's how e-mail works, for Pete's sake? Or am I just expecting too much common sense?

Richard said...

I don't know anyone like that, but as you say they are missing the point.

I do know someone who prints emails before reading them and then, if an email contains a link, refers to the printed copy and types it back in.!

Richard said...
This comment has been removed by the author.