Tuesday 13 April 2021

Lime and Lemon Marmalade


A few weeks ago it occurred to me that although I've made marnalade with various citrus fruit, either alone or in combination, I'd never tried lime and lemon. So last week I tried it and was delighted with the result - quite sharp but also sweet and fruity. I think it may be my favourite marmalade.


Recommended quantities are limes 1, lemons 1, water 1, white sugar 3. Wash the fruit, halve each one and put in a saucepan with the cold water. Heat very gently - I use the lowest setting on my electric hob. Check from time to time. With about 1 kg of fruit and 500 ml of water it took about an hour to come to the boil. I let it simmer until the fruit was soft. Allow to cool. Remove the fruit from the liquid and remove pips. Strain the liquid to remove pips from that, and then put fruit and liquid together through a blender. Then heat with sugar in the usual way. It sets extremely easily. I think that limes must be very rich in pectin.


No comments :