Sunday 1 January 2012

Noisy Celebration of an Abstraction

I awoke in the middle of the night to the sound of fireworks, and noticed it was 4:20 am.

I thought it strange that people should show such enthusiasm for celebrating nothing in particular. That a new year begins today is a mater of convention, an artefact of our measuring system. I don't find it at all exciting.

It makes sense to have a few parties to relieve the gloom of the long nights and short days, but we had parties for Christmas. Another set a week later is excessive. The second lot of celebrations would do us more good around the end of January, when the effects of Christmas euphoria have warn off.

1 comment :

Sasha said...

I seem to remember that, when I was young, I was pleased to find any excuse (or even none) for a party. My guess is that spirit is what lies behind the New Year celebrations following so soon after Christmas.