Friday 3 June 2011

Epson's Trojan Horse.

I have an Epson SX200 Printer, which usually works well.

I often save money by using compatible ink cartridges made by other companies. There's no difficulty in installing such cartridges but on two occasions a compatible cartridge has stopped working when not empty - when I shook it I heard the remaining ink sloshing about inside.

A chap at a computer shop said this problem is created by software that Epson downloads under the guise of keeping the system up to date, and advised re-installing the printer and making sure I don't consent to any suggestion that I should permit anything at all to be downloaded by the printer software.

The attempt to introduce the Trojan Horse is not made during installation, but when one starts to print. Even though I selected the box that said 'do not show this screen again' it reappeared next time I printed.

Anyone frugal person with an Epson printer should be on their guard all the time.

No comments :