Sunday 3 January 2010

An easily made pudding

(1) Take 500 grams of mixed dried fruit, often sold as dried fruit salad and consisting of prunes, apricots pears and possibly apples, and put it in a saucepan.

(2) Add a lemon cut into 4 or 5 thick slices, with one clove stuck in each slice

(3) Sprinkle over the fruit a quarter of a teaspoon full of ground cinnamon and 5 rounded dessertspoonfuls of brown suger.

(4) Add a whole bottle of red wine.

(5) Heat gently till it boils - when I did it that took about half an hour. Keep it simmering gently, with the lid on, for about an hour, then leave to cool.

Eat either on its own, or with ice cream, cream or yoghurt.

The slices of lemon are also edible, be if you do eat one, remove the clove first.

Many years ago I used to do something on those lines with just prunes. I was reminded of it when someone mentioned using dried fruit salad , and when I tried it I found I liked that even more.

3 comments :

Ged said...

Sounds delicious. I'm costing it up at about £5 or so to make, though that includes buying the cinnamon and cloves, which wouldn't get used up. How many portions is that, and long does it keep in the fridge? Ages I imagine, with all the sugar.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Richard said...

I think I got about 6 portions from mine; I expect it would last for a week or two in the fridge