Friday 26 June 2009

A penny Drops

I'd long been baffled by the suggestion that when data from a form is sent according to the GET protocol it is included in a URL

Enlightenment came yesterday. I was pouring over an example in a book about CGI programming and suddenly realised what was meant.

The data is attached to the URL of the program designed to to process it.

I've never come across an explicit statement to that effect. Why do computer folk so often feel the need to communicate in winks and nudges, instead of in plain English prose ?

2 comments :

Ged said...

It's not by chance that this happened when you were reading some example code: I often find, when learning a new programming language or getting to grips with a new framework or API, that an example is worth a thousand words.

Richard said...

I find it hard to follow abstract expositions with no examples, but examples without a clear explanation, don't convey much to me either.

In the case in question what was needed was the addition of six words to the explanation, and I should have then realised that I've seen lots of examples when storing links to web sites - it would have helped to have that pointed out too.